ADVANTAGES OF WORKING IN SPAIN
I am sure that when you decided to move to Barcelona or Spain you had your own reasons and a list of pros and cons of living in working in Spain.
And let`s be honest – compared to the laws in some other European countries, the Spanish work laws have a lot more to learn. However, there are still some advantages that you might not know about!
- Usually in Spain the paid holidays are 30 natural days (consecutive ones) or 22 working days. In some cases the holidays reach up to 24 – 25 days depending on the company and the contract.
- You have the right to take 1 day extra off (paid) if you are changing flats.
- If you are getting married by law you get 15 natural days (again paid or “retribuidos).
- One of the most famous aspects of Spanish life, is the siesta. In some companies – especially if you work for a local company, the siesta might be 2-3 hours. This of course can be considered as an advantage or disadvantage, since for many expats having such long lunch break kills the productivity and makes the working day longer. During the summer however, a nice 2 hour lunch close to the beach is not a bad advantage to have.
- Speaking of summer – in many Spanish cities, including in Barcelona, some companies have “jornada intensiva” in July and August or only in August. What does that mean? They reduce the working hours and the working day is 1 to 4 hours shorter. Which means you can finish work by 3:00 – 4:00 in the afternoon.
I personally find one more advantage about working in Barcelona and this is the fact that you work with people from many different countries. This gives you different perspective on the world, gives you the chance to learn a lot about many different countries and meet people from so many different backgrounds! You can make friends from Brazil, Poland, Norway, Russia and pretty much from all countries around the world! And who knows – perhaps you might even find love!
I didn´t mention something very important regarding the advantages of working in Spain: The climate and the many sunny days! The weather as you know affects our mood and having sunshine most of the year makes the days nicer, more positive and the working hours pass faster and in a better mood!